Preparing young people to join us
The school has a transition process that enables all students arriving at Central in Year 7 to look forward to their new school.
• Termly meeting between main feeder primary schools and SENCO in a cluster meeting
• SENCO and primary schools make contact to talk about EHCP pupils.
• SENCO and Inclusion team attend Year 5/6 Open Evening, with time and space to discuss student needs and additional visits and tours are also offered.
• SENCO meets with each Primary SENCO individually to discuss Year 6 pupils and paperwork
• SENCO works with primary SENCOs, Year 7 Head of Learning and Teaching Assistants to create list of pupils who require additional transition
• Additional transition visit offered for SEN pupils one week before main Year 6/7 transition day
• Information gathered from meetings and additional transition day support main day and provision put in place for pupils
• Additional visits offered throughout June and July
• Teaching assistants visit identified students in their primary school and meet with Year 6 teacher
• SENCO joins cluster meetings at the Gillford Centre (PRU) in Spring Term
• Pupil Passports created for Year 7 pupils identified for the Additional SEN Transition Day and shared with staff ready for September
• Students with learning needs and their parents/carers are supported through the GCSE options process to ensure appropriate choices are made.
• Work experience placement opportunities
• Get into 6th Form experience days
• Meetings with KS4/5 Transition co-ordinator
• Key speakers visit to talk to and mentor students
Visits to Carlisle College